Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Corn Starch Ornaments (No Flour!)

My family and I wanted to make homemade Christmas ornaments this year. Since my son is allergic to gluten/flour, I decided to try out a cornstarch clay recipe. I am very happy with the results, and actually like this recipe better than other ones I've tried in the past. It's simple, inexpensive, great to knead and a  perfect shade of white!

***
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 cup baking soda
3/4 cup water



Combine all ingredients in large sauce pan. Stir until the dough can no longer be stirred. This step should take about 10 minutes. (Mixture will resemble mashed potatoes)









 
Remove the pot from stove and spoon the mixture of dough into a bowl. Cover dough with a damp cloth until it's cool.






When dough has cooled, knead it on a smooth surface until smooth. (Tip: add more cornstarch if it feels sticky.)




Preheat oven to 175 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Also grab cookie cutters and any other instruments needed.




Roll out dough 1/4 inch thick on a surface lightly dusted with cornstarch. Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes. Transfer shapes to the prepared baking sheet. Then, use a straw to poke a hole in the center top of each decoration.







Place ornaments in the oven for about an Two hours.  Make sure to turn them over halfway through baking.



Allow ornaments to cool completely on a cooling rack.

A few of our ornaments ended up cracking and lifting. Next time we will use a completely flat cookie sheet. We used one with a bit
of a lift, and it made a difference in the end result.



After the ornaments are cooled, then it's time for the best part! Decorating! My memory card ended up crashing, and deleted all the rest of my pictures... But, I was able to get a picture of the ornaments Tyson painted.



Happy holidays!!!

 

9 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for taking the time to check it out! :) I'm glad you like the idea! They were lots of fun to decorate. -- Hope you're having a great day.

      Delete
  2. That's a great idea. Just a question. When you mix the cornstarch in the pot, what level heat do you use? Also, what temp. did you cook them at in the oven?
    I want to make these with my son, they look like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Kathleen :) When I cooked the mixture on the stove, I had the heat on medium. Then, when I placed the ornaments in the oven, I had the stove preheated to 175 degrees F. I baked them in the oven for two hours, and flipped them halfway through. (Baking time will depend on your oven.) If you didn't want to bake the ornaments, you can leave them out to dry. It will take approximately two days for the clay to fully harden.

      Good luck making ornaments with your son. I hope you two have lots of fun. :)

      *hugs*

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the post! I just made these for my preschool class to decorate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I love this recipe for clay as we have multiple family members who are celiac, or unconfirmed but with definite signs of gluten intolerance. But I have a question for you: do you have to use the clay right away or can you make it up a day or more in advance before using? I'd love to use this for an upcoming dinosaur party and I double I'll have time to make it that morning.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love LOVE this clay! I don't use it for ornaments, though. The first time I used it was to make a realistic handle for a halloween decoration knife, and now I'm using it again to make clay dolls! A lot cheaper than polymer clay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made the dough 4 the clay & I'm letting it cool under the damp cloth....can't w8 2 c how our ornaments turn out!! Thx so much 4 the post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for posting this, ive been looking all over for a inexpensive Gluten Free Ornament recipes.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...