Saturday, April 14, 2012

Spongebob, Third Birthday Party!

For anyone who has read my other blog entries, already knows the little tradition I have going on. Each year on my sons birthday, I take a picture just of him. I make sure he wears a special birthday shirt, or a pin. In this case, it's a personalized t-shirt. I bought the shirt from Walmart, along with transfer paper. The transfer paper was used to put the image on the shirt. I searched online for a Spongebob picture I liked, then typed a little saying around the character. I followed the printing and transferring instructions, and voila!

I wanted to do something a little different for table decorations. My son and I collected seashells on one of our beach trips, so I put the shells to good use. I used toll paint and a black marker to create the characters from Spongebob. I made: Plankton, Squidward, Patrick, Sandy, Spongebob and Mr. Crabs. The kids enjoyed them, even a few asked to take some home. 
 I wasn't able to find a Spongebob pinata in my area, so I made my own. He is made from a cereal box, construction paper, a black tipped marker and lots of glue/tape. Inside I made goodie bags, and had enough for each child. Whoever broke the pinata, got a little extra something as well.

I made two cakes, one with fondant icing, and the other regular butter-cream icing. This Patrick cake is made of chocolate cake, and his eyes are marshmallows. He was very simple to create. I just free handed what his body should look like, and cut it out with a knife. I then iced it, and decorated it. He took only about 10 minutes or less to put together.
I was very impressed with how my Spongebob cake turned out. The cake took about an hour to fully decorate. To create Spongebobs holes on his face, I just used the end of a rolling pin, it did the trick perfectly. If anyone is interested in learning how to make homemade fondant, please feel free to visit the links I posted below.

Homemade Fondant Tutorial:


How to color fondant tutorial:

For decorations, I made a lot of my own from construction paper. I create jellyfish, bubbles, flowers crabs and other little ocean animals. I also put together a "Pin the pants on Spongebob, game!".

            
When guests entered the party, I had a sign welcoming them to Bikini Bottom! (Spongebobs hometown.) I also gave each guest a lei to wear around their necks.
 I made sure the birthday boy had his own special chair. Complete with balloons, and a pineapple cup!
 Here's a shot of decorations, and how I set up the tables.
 The centerpieces!
"Bikini Bottom!" On the stage where we had the food, I placed grass skirts around the table. It was very cost effective, especially since almost all items were purchased from the Dollarstore. Or, homemade!
 
Almost every birthday party I put on, I made sure to have a coloring station. I printed out Spongebob pictures, and left markers, crayons and stickers on the table.
 For the menu, I had a large selection of food. We had over 30 guests and we wanted to make sure we had enough food. I tried to think of Spongebob themed names for all the food. Beside the themed names, I wrote out the actual name of the food.
 We also had a surprise visitor!!! :) I create this Spongebob costume out of boxes, paint and bristol board. No one expected to see him at the party, and the adults thought it was hilarious. Spongebob went around shaking everyone's hand, and dancing. When Spongebob came out, I played a CD with tons of songs from the show. (A huge thanks goes out to daddy for being such a good sport!)



4 comments:

  1. WOW! The Sponegebob cake looked amazing, and I love your upcylcled costume. Kudos to your husband. He is one special daddy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :) This is definitely one of my favorite parties I've put on. The adults had just as much fun as the kids, hehe! I hope you have a great day, thanks again for reading and commenting. ♥

      Delete
  2. we will have a spongebob party too... but it will not be as grand as this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment! I'm sure your Spongebob party will be fantastic! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...